21 May 2020

Quarantine Catchup.

My, quite a bit has happened.

I'm currently in exile, like the rest of us. I took a socially distanced trip to the Drive-In and wrote about it, as well as reviewing The Wretched, a refreshingly brisk horror flick that benefits greatly from both the drive-in setting and the historical moment it arrives in.

I've pivoted into mostly streaming reviews at the moment. A weekly collection of them, in fact. It's going to have its own post that gets updated each week, because that's just how the world is for the foreseeable future.


I've also got a monthly column in Out and About Nashville called THE SPECIAL SHELF, where I've been reviewing interesting queer cinema.

2019 LGBTQIA+ cinema in review.

Hindi-language musical Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan.

A double feature in what I like to call NOT IN FRONT OF THE STRAIGHT PEOPLE Cinema: Midnight Kiss and You're Killing Me.

Legendary Sundance drama Urbania.

Get your wig down out of the box, it's Hedwig and The Angry Inch.

Sultry psychodrama Devil's Path.

The gorgeous and emotionally devastating cosmic horror Starfish.

You know it, you love it, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge! And if you're going to read that, you should read this as well- a piece I wrote on Elm Street 2 in 2004- I was tapped in from an early place.

A twofer of Freeway 2: Confessions of a Trickbaby and the series Now Apocalypse.

Brazilian gay post-picaresque Bathroom Stalls and Parking Lots.

Films Maudits: Basic Instinct and Cruising.

2019 Pride quartet: Boom!, Jeffrey, Can't Stop The Music, and To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar!

Horror classic Witchboard.

Chilean psychosexual cinephile drama Cola De Mono.



And there's also:

Vitalina Varela, a gorgeous and devastating film from Pedro Costa.

The Hunt - the last film I saw in actual theatres before everything went to shit.

Well, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Fantasy Island is an incoherent mess.

The Invisible Man, which is so, so, so good.

Zombi Child, the latest from Bertrand Bonello

The exquisite Georgian queer dance film And Then We Danced.

A review of the bonkers VHYes.

   Musicwise...

Here's an interview I did with Susan Ottaviano from synth-pop legends BOOK OF LOVE and a preshow piece I wrote about the band's legacy.

Jonny Gowow dropped a new single and launched a podcast.

No comments: