25 July 2008

Your laws of motion and physics may take their leave.



New York is finally getting a Zaha Hadid building. Alas, it is only temporary, and double alas, it debuts after I will have returned from my annual northern excursion.

But this is simply not to be missed.

For those of you who don't know, Zaha Hadid is the best architect and building designer working today. I first encountered her work when she designed the sets for the Pet Shop Boys 1999 Nightlife tour, and I've been a fan ever since. I got to see her Guggenheim retrospective in 2006, and it was one of the most amazing design experiences I've ever had. Absolutes that we've taken for granted in the fields of construction and design simply do not apply, and I find her willingness to incorporate curves into the nonstop straight line aesthetic of the planet's artificial structures both inspiring and deliriously freaky.

No comments: