20 July 2008

A brief, spoilerific thought about The Dark Knight.


The ending of this film is provocative in a way that no other mainstream film has dared in quite some time. Politically, it's a staggering statement; the acts of spying, endangerment, and rendition that the Batman commits may be justifiable for some, but that still doesn't absolve him of the responsibility for violating the social contract. The Dark Knight, the film, is sitting very close to having one of the biggest openings of all time, and it's my sincerest hope that the millions of people seeing the film take some of its hard-won lessons to heart.



My thoughts on the film as a whole, I'm still formulating. I know there's going to be a big thing about Ledger vs Nicholson and the still-controversial Prince soundtrack to the '89 Batman, but I'm still working that up. As for real reviews of the film, go here and here.

No comments: