21 August 2008

"Am I the meanest?"

Character actor Julius Carry died two days ago from pancreatic cancer. I had the fortune of seeing a 35mm print of The Last Dragon last month, and his performance as Sho'Nuff, The Shogun of Harlem, stands the tests of time. I didn't realize that he was also Lord Bowler from The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. So I'll take that as a sign to rewatch Brisco County for the first time since it initially aired, back during my first year at NYU.

True story: I was in the midst of an intimate moment in my dorm room back in the day while an episode of Brisco County was on in the background, and the guy I was with caught a glimpse of the TV and was like, "Is that Ash?"

Which is very funny if you happen to be naked at the time.

Anyway, RIP Julius Carry. Truly you were the meanest. Truly you were the prettiest. Truly you were the baddest mo-fo, low down, around this town...

No comments: