16 January 2022

At the movies: Scream/5cream/Scream 5/The New One.

 I have a lot of feelings about the new Scream. There's some great things, but a lot that doesn't quite fit. But since my exigeses on this blog can seem kinda skimpy, here's a few hottish and spoilery takes for the series that didn't make it into the final piece...


1) Like all gay men, I adore Laurie Metcalf. She is great, and her performance as Debbie Salt in Scream 2 is a vibrant injection of wild energy in a film that, by that point in its runtime, needed it. But the entire Debbie Salt concept is very Scooby-Doo-ish and even in 1997 I remember thinking, 'this is where we're going with the sequel?'

2) When fan favorite Randy gets killed in part 2, it hit me viscerally, and it pissed me the hell off. You don't take out an emotional throughline like that and then end your movie with a triumphant Collective Soul song. (Everybody knows the appropriate slasher movie capper Collective Soul song to end with is "Run.") The thing is, when 5cream makes a similar choice, it works better because the remaining characters can't really rally from that. They take on their objectives and they succeed, but the toll is so great that they just kind of fade into the background.

3) I miss Wes Craven more than you can possibly know.




No comments: